1 Ponzu-Cilantro Marinated Mahi Mahi

Tuesday, June 15, 2010



For some reason I haven't always had the best results when making mahi mahi.  The last time I made it (using a different recipe) it stuck to the pan and tasted... fishy.  Not good.  This time I stuck with some tried-and-true flavors that always work for me when I make tuna or swordfish steaks.  Ponzu, soy sauce and some exotic spices make this marinade perfect for this firm white fish.


You'll need:

1 mahi mahi filet per person (up to about 4, otherwise double the marinade recipe accordingly.)
1/4 cup Ponzu sauce
1/4 cup soy sauce
2 tbls rice wine vinegar
3 cloves minced garlic
1 tbls finely minced cilantro (or 1 frozen cube)
1-2 dashes Chinese Five Spice
fresh ground pepper to taste

Mix all the ingredients except the fish in a dish (or dump it all into a ziplock bag), and carefully place the filets in.  Marinate each side for about 15-20 minutes, but no more than about 30 minutes.


While the fish is marinating, heat up a skillet over medium heat, and prepare with your choice of oil or fat, I'd suggest either canola or bacon fat.  Guess which one I used?  Oink.  When the fish is finished soaking, let excess marinade drip off, and place into a hot pan, and don't touch it!  Touch it before the bottom is cooked and you will ruin it because it will stick and fall apart.  Cook about 4-5 minutes per side, and you can tell when it's time to flip when the fish is opaque half way up.


....aaaand flip!  Carefully!


As you know if you read the previous post, I served it with the bacon wrapped asparagus, which pairs really nicely with the marinated fish!  It was very, very good.

Pin It

1 comment:

tinyskillet said...

This looks amazing! I love all the flavors that you used. I am going to make this for sure. My husband has been bugging me to make mahi mahi instead of salmon for some time now. Father's Day would be perfect for this.

Emily, I used your base recipe for ebleskiver and just posted it. Thanks so much for trying out this great recipe for us! :D

Post a Comment

I love to hear from you, please leave your comments here!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...