1 Low-Carb Vegetarian Lasagne

Sunday, May 2, 2010

This is a very non-traditional lasagne, but I need to be creative when it comes to making low-carb and low-fat meals for myself when I'm on my diet.  (Here is an eggplant lasagne recipe for another low-carb twist.) This recipe may sound totally weird, but it is really, really good.  Best part, each serving only has about 8 grams of processed carbs in the melba toast, as opposed to about 18 for traditional lasagne.  Use your favorite marinara sauce.  I've included a basic recipe, but you can also do variations by using prepared bruschetta (I made some the other day) instead of diced tomatoes, adding some more herbs and spices, and some tomato paste to thicken it up.  


Marinara Sauce

1 can Diced Tomatoes (sugar/salt free)
1 can Tomato Paste (sugar/salt free)
1 can Tomato sauce (small one, again salt and sugar free)
Garlic cloves, as many as you like
1 1/2 T dried Basil (more if fresh)
1 1/2 T dried Oregano (more if fresh)
2 T minced onion
Red chili flakes to taste
Salt/Braggs Aminos to taste
Pepper to taste

Put it all together and cook down for about 30 mins (See?  I'm using my new Le Creuset pieces!  So in love with these things, it's not even funny.)




The lasagne filling is made with cottage cheese instead of ricotta, which is lower in fat, but has great protein.


Preheat oven to 400 (to save energy, I use my table top convection oven instead of my big oven)


1 cup cottage cheese ( 1% or 2 %, all natural, no sugar, no salt), squeezed in cheese cloth
2-3 tbls basil pesto (opt)
1 tbls dried parsley
1 Egg & 3 egg whites
Garlic powder to taste
Pepper to taste
10 Whole Wheat Melba toast
Marinara sauce



First, you want to squeeze as much liquid as you can from the cottage cheese.  You don't want this to be watery, which it can be if you don't do this step.


Squeeeeeeeze (I do this in two batches.)




The drier result




In a larger bowl, combine the cottage cheese, eggs and the rest of your ingredients together.



Mix well.


Now, grab a non-stick bread loaf pan - it's the perfect size and shape for this application.  Ladle a bit of the marinara on the bottom of the pan (btw, I don't use cooking spray.)  Give it a gentle shake to coat.




Next layer on 5 pieces of melba toast, they should fit exactly.


Next comes the cheese filling




Repeat with the next layer - marinara, melba, cheese, then another layer of marinara.  Voila!  Ready for the oven!


Bake for about 50 minutes, and it should look like this


Let it cool for about 10 minutes before slicing - my serving calculations for carbs are for 5 servings (2 melba pieces each.)  As you can see, it stays together really well, not falling apart.  


Yum!



Pin It

1 comment:

lavenderdiva said...

this looks DELICIOUS! Thank you for sharing!!

Post a Comment

I love to hear from you, please leave your comments here!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...