0 Basil Pesto

Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Is there anything better on crusty Italian bread than fresh pesto?  I can't think of much else...bruschetta, maybe.  But pesto is WAY up there.


Ingredients


2 cups fresh basil leaves, packed (1 one tray of frozen cubes of basil - I like Dorot brand from TJ's)
1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
1/3 cup pine nuts and/or walnuts
3 medium sized garlic cloves, minced
Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste


Rinse the basil, and measure out your nuts.




 As you can see, I used both pine nuts and walnuts.

If you are using walnuts instead of pine nuts and they are not already chopped, pulse them a few times first, before adding the basil. 






Combine the basil in with the pine nuts, pulse a few times in a food processor.  



Or, you can use this nifty frozen basil.



Now, a note about the frozen basil.  I didn't actually have fresh leaf basil in the house when I decided to make pesto, but I had just picked up a tray of fresh frozen cubes of basil.  I get it from Trader Joe's, and the brand is Dorot.  I was hesitant to try it, but decided to go for it.  



Add the garlic, pulse a few times more.



Slowly add the olive oil in a constant stream while the food processor is on. Stop to scrape down the sides of the food processor with a rubber spatula.




Add the grated cheese and pulse again until blended. Add a pinch of salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste.


I needn't have worried about using the frozen basil.  I took this to a party and everyone raved, and my husband scarfed the rest of it down later.  It is delicious!



Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from you, please leave your comments here!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...