3 Surimi-Stuffed Mushroom Caps

Wednesday, July 28, 2010

I must write this recipe before I forget!  It was a huge hit at the reunion.  I was just using what I had on hand, because I certainly had never tried this recipe before since I just made it up as I went along.  I brought four packages of surimi, also known as imitation crab, figuring I could use it somehow (first time I've used it, however I didn't think fresh crab would travel well.)  It occurred to me to make a crab salad of sorts, and then I found that both my mom and I had brought a bunch of mushroom caps...so why not stuff them?

This makes a lot of stuffed mushrooms, enough for a party of 25, so halve the recipe for a smaller gathering.

3 pounds baby portabella or button mushrooms, cleaned and stems removed
4 10 oz packages of surimi (or use fresh lump crab!), chopped
1 medium yellow onion, minced very finely
7-9 small red, yellow and/or orange sweet peppers, minced very finely
1 bunch fresh cilantro, finely chopped
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
2/3 cup of mayonnaise (more or less)
3 tbs Dijon mustard (more or less)
salt and pepper to taste

Preheat oven to 375, and lightly oil a couple baking sheets with olive oil.  Fold all ingredients together in a large mixing bowl.  With a small spoon stuff the mushroom caps with the crab mixture, and nestle on the baking sheets.  Bake for about 20 minutes, and enjoy!

Alas, I only have one picture, and that is pre-baking. Everyone started grabbing and gobbling them down before I got a chance to snap a pic of the after.  They got really nice and toasty on the bottom, and melty in the middles.


I had no bread crumbs, but I found that it really didn't matter too much, the cheese helped to hold it all together, but you could certainly throw in a handful if you wished.  If I'd had enough shredded cheese, I might have topped each one with some as well.  I'm super glad they turned out this well, good enough to make again!
Pin It

3 comments:

lequan@luvtoeat said...

Those look delicious - drool! This is a great recipe, thank you muchly for sharing!

Unknown said...

Looks cute and delicious...im craving for one.

guitar lessons chords

Davenz said...

This is so awesome...Thanks for sharing!

Regards
custom doors

Post a Comment

I love to hear from you, please leave your comments here!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...