8 Coconut-Lavender Wipes Solution

Monday, May 13, 2013



So, I don't know if I mentioned it, but I'm cloth diapering my newest little lady. I'm loving it. Weird, considering normal people want to have as little to do with changing baby diapers as possible. But I totally love my babe's fluffy bottom, and diaper laundry is my favourite. I find stuffing diapers very zen.  

Anyway, I also use cloth wipes which are way, way better than disposable wipes, size-wise and also in sheer clean-ability. I wanted to use a cleansing solution that would be healthy for her skin and smell delicious when in the wipes warmer. I came up with this coconut-lavender concoction and have been using it for the last few months with great results. ZERO diaper rash so far, and the coconut oil really moisturizes. (You could also use this solution to make your own disposable wipes with Viva paper towels!)

I have a pretty glass bottle that I mix and store it in, and each batch is enough for three one-cup portions (each portion is enough for 12 or so single-ply wipes). You could also use a large mason jar. 

You'll need:

2 tbs unrefined organic coconut oil, melted
15 drops lavender essential oil (I've also used other EOs, including Medieval Mix which apparently wards off The Plague...)
1 drop GSE (Grapefruit Seed Extract for anti-yeast properties!)
3 cups distilled water


Mix all ingredients together in your container. 


Shake well and pour on and around wipes in warmer (I just eyeball it.) I'm OCD and inter-fold all my wipes in quantities of 12 so that they will pop-up from the warmer like 'sposie wipes. 





The coconut oil does solidify on top of the solution after several hours if the ambient temperature is below 75 degrees.  I have a Scentsy full-sized warmer that I mainly use as a nightlight, but does double duty for the wipes solution! I just set it on top of the warmer bowl for a few hours and it melts it again. Voila! 


Oh, one more thing - I was using one of those anti-microbial pillows that are supposed to keep the wipes in the warmer fresh, but I still had a problem with the wipes getting musty really fast. Baby bottoms should not smell like mildew. I finally discovered that it was the pillow itself that was causing the mustiness. (Really?!) I chucked it and my wipes have been fresh as a daisy ever since!


Pin It

8 comments:

Unknown said...

What cloth diapers did you find to work best for you? We found Jilian's Drawers and sampled quite a few, settling posting on All-in-Ones and Pockets. But, I love hearing what works for other people.. you know, for next time! :)

Emily @ Bentobloggy.com said...

Sarah, I love pockets! Those are my favourite, and I've tried covers and a few different hybrids too. I like that I can use whatever insert I want, and it keeps baby's bum dry. I have tried so many different brands!

Anonymous said...

Hello my loved one! I wish to say that this article is awesome, great written and come with approximately all significant infos.

I would like to peer more posts like this .

My page :: Mulberry UK

Anonymous said...

Good day I am so thrilled I found your webpage, I really found you by accident,
while I was searching on Digg for something else, Nonetheless I am here now and would just like to say thank you for a fantastic post and a all round enjoyable blog (I also love the theme/design),
I don't have time to look over it all at the moment but I have bookmarked it and also added in your RSS feeds, so when I have time I will be back to read a lot more, Please do keep up the excellent job.

Feel free to surf to my webpage; get targeted twitter followers

uniformes cali said...

Love it !!!

vestidos de novia said...

Love it!!!

Nadia said...

Do you make your own baby wipes, or do you buy them? I am thinking about switching to reusable wipes. I tried cloth diapers when Daphne was a baby, but I just couldn't commit to it. Probably doesn't help that I wasn't a huge fan of the cloth diapers we bought. They leaked everywhere. It was such a mess! Also, is that the same coconut oil that they have at Costco? I've been meaning to try it.

Emily @ Bentobloggy.com said...

Yes! Same coconut oil, love it!

If I had more time I would make my own wipes. I bought mine from handmadeburps on Etsy :)

Post a Comment

I love to hear from you, please leave your comments here!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...