3 Sweet Potato & Maple Pecan Bread Pudding

Saturday, October 16, 2010



Well, that sounds like an unlikely concoction, doesn't it?  I challenged myself to come up with a recipe that showcased the wonderful sweet potatoes harvested from the organic garden at E's school.  I volunteered to make a dish that people can sample made with produce from the garden at the Fall Festival today.  I tell you what, I think it turned out wonderfully!  It is definitely a keeper recipe, and it's very simple to make.

You'll need:
1 loaf cubed French or Challa bread (about 6 cups)
2 cups vanilla almond milk (or use heavy cream)
3 eggs
2 cups cooked and mashed sweet potatoes (I always salt them to taste while mashing.)
1 cup brown sugar
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp pumpkin pie spice
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 tsp salt
3/4 cup dried cranberries
3/4 cup chopped pecans
3/4 cup maple syrup

First, these are the sweet potatoes in the raw, during trimming.


And here's E helping me wrap them in aluminum foil for baking.


Okay, for the bread pudding recipe, preheat the oven to 375.  In one large bowl toss the bread cubes with the almond milk until everything is coated and moistened and set aside for about 30-60 minutes (long enough to make a pot of tea and do the next bits.)

In another mixing bowl, beat the eggs and then add the sweet potato, brown sugar, spices, vanilla, and salt.


Mix well.  Try to smooth as many of the lumps of potato out as you can.  It really helps if the sweet potato is at room temp when you begin.


Now, add the cranberries and fold into the sweet potato mixture.


Add the cubed bread to the large bowl and fold together until all the cubes are coated.  I must admit, I tried pouring the batter over the bread cubes already in the baking dish...not so easy to mix it well.  Make sure you use the large bowl.  Then you can put the entire mixture into your greased baking dish (I used cooking spray, but you can also happily use butter) and even out.


Top with handfuls of chopped pecans....


Now at this point you can cover and refrigerate and bake the next day if you want, like my Baked French Toast recipe.  When you're ready to bake, pop the dish into your 375 degree oven for 40-50 minutes.  It should still be slightly creamy in the middle and the top slightly crunchy.  If you like it firmer, continue baking for another 10-15 mins.  While it's still warm, drizzle maple syrup generously (or honey!) all over the top, and let stand for at least 30 minutes.

Voila!  It's sweet and moist, and you get a nice chewiness from the cranberries, and a satisfying crunch from the pecans.


YUM.

I was also busy yesterday afternoon packaging my wooonderful Granola Bites for the bake sale.  The recipe is found here.  I did one batch of dates & cranberry with orange and yellow ribbons...


 ...and another of dates and apricot with green and brown ribbons.


Took forever, but I thought the effect was quite pretty. =)


If you tried any of these goodies at the Fall Festival today, please tell me how you liked it!  Any other favorites you had, or any new recipes you are planning on trying soon?  Do tell!  If you are a new visitor to Bentobloggy, please click the Follow button in the upper left corner of this blog, and you can also find me on Facebook here.  Thanks bunches!
Pin It

3 comments:

slushygirl said...

Oh yummy! That bread pudding looks to die for! And your granola bites are so sweet! The cards look great! They are certainly the best looking thing I've seen at a bake sale, besides my mom's pound cake. ;)

Anonymous said...

I tried both of your offerings yesterday, and they were great! Probably the best granola bars I've ever tasted, they were chewy and crispy, I don't know how you did that. Not at all like store bought, and healthier too. Thank you!

Emily @ Bentobloggy.com said...

^^ Really glad you liked it! I've also received several emails from others.

Thanks Slushy!

Post a Comment

I love to hear from you, please leave your comments here!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...