6 Baked Cinnamon, Pecan & Blackberry French Toast

Wednesday, May 19, 2010



I admit, I got the idea to make this from the Pioneer Woman blog.  Her pictures are amazing.  It looked so yummy, I thought it was the perfect dessert to make for my movie party with all the leftover bread trimmings I had from making party appetizers (I used a leaf-shaped cookie cutter, toasted them and served olive tapenade and bruschetta.)  I did change up the recipe a little, as I tend to do.

1 loaf of your favorite white bread, (trimmings are just fine) torn or cubed
8 eggs
2 cups milk
1 cup heavy cream
3/4 cup sugar
2 tbls vanilla

topping:
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
2 tsp cinnamon
2 dashes allspice
1/4 tsp salt
1 stick cold butter, cut into pieces
1 cup chopped pecans (candied are great!)
1 pint berries, sliced or whole if they are small

First, butter a large baking dish, about 9x13.  I have a large oval dish that I love, so I used that.  As an additional insurance policy, I like to lightly spray to corners/creases of the dish with cooking oil, just in case I missed anything.

Toss in all the bread and arrange fairly evenly around the dish.

In a large mixing bowl combine the eggs, milk, cream, vanilla and sugar.  Mix well.









Now, pour all the liquid over the bread in the dish.


At this point you can cover it with plastic wrap and store in the fridge until you're ready to bake it, from a couple hours to overnight.  It's a great recipe to prepare ahead of time!  You can also prepare the topping ahead of time.

For the topping, combine the flour, brown sugar, cinnamon, allspice and salt, and stir with a fork.

Then, add in the cold butter pieces.  Now, of all the cooking accoutrement I own, I do not have a pastry cutter, so I have to make do with a plain fork.

Mash up the cold butter into the dry mixture until it starts looking like pebbles (or as close as you can get it with a fork, in my case.)
Now you can cover the bowl and store it in the fridge until you're ready to use it.  It's important to keep it cold until then.

When you're ready to bake, heat your oven to 375, and sprinkle the chopped pecans all over the top of the dish.


Next, place your berry of choice on top.  I had a lot of blackberries, so that's what I used.


Finally, spread the crumb topping mixture evenly over the top, and pop the whole thing in the oven.


The smells coming from your kitchen should be calling all the boys to the yard after about 45 minutes in the oven.  For a firmer, less bread pudding consistency, bake for an hour or longer, just make sure the bottom doesn't burn.


It is SOOO good.  The entire dish was gone by the end of the evening.


Serve it with generous drizzles of real maple syrup on top.  Yum!!


Peach variation:

Ingredients

Custard:
1 loaf of your favorite white bread, cubed                                                                                                    
8 eggs
2 cups milk
1 cup heavy cream or almond milk
¼ cup white sugar
½ cup brown sugar
2 tbls vanilla
15 oz can of peaches in light syrup

Topping:
½ cup all-purpose flour
½ cup packed brown sugar
2 tsp cinnamon
2 dashes allspice
½ tsp salt
1 stick cold butter, cut into pieces
1 cup chopped pecans (candied are great!), opt

Instructions:

Grease a 9x13” baking dish.  In a large mixing bowl combine the eggs, milk, cream, vanilla and sugar.  Mix well then add the peaches with juice and stir to blend.  Pour all the liquid over the  cubed bread in another large bowl and toss to combine, and transfer to the baking dish, and press evenly around.  Let stand at least 30 minutes, or cover and refrigerate overnight.

To bake, preheat oven to 375.  Prepare topping by combining all ingredients except pecans, if using, and using a fork or a pastry cutter mash up the cold butter into the dry mixture until it starts looking like pebbles.  You can make this ahead of time, but keep it cold.  Sprinkle pecans and cinnamon topping all over the top of the bread mixture, and bake for 45 minutes or longer for a firmer consistency.
Pin It

6 comments:

Kuusou said...

This looks and sounds delicious! We'll have to give it a try this weekend. :)

Melissa said...

That looks good!

I made one similar to this a long time ago using apples intead of berries. My husband isn't super keen on apples but it never occured to me to use a different fruit! (duh!!!)

I'll be trying this soon. :)

Unknown said...

O.M.G.

Carissa said...

ooooh....can't wait to try this. yum!

KaLynn ("MiMi") said...

Looks super yummy!! May just have to try this!

Unknown said...

I've had something like this before, not with blackberries. Definitely one I will copy and save. Maybe Christmas morning breakfast, I have blueberries and blackberries left in the freezer from the summer picking.

Thanks for stopping by my giveaway and Congrats on "Blog of Note". I understand that is not easy to get. :o)

Post a Comment

I love to hear from you, please leave your comments here!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...