0 Fried Rice

Monday, January 25, 2010

Whenever I make rice I usually make more than I need so that I can make fried rice with any leftovers (it's also best in fried rice when it's cold, and not too sticky.)  I specifically used sushi rice today because I wanted it to be sticky enough for the onigiri, but you can use almost any kind of rice.

This is just a really basic recipe, you can add whatever veg you like - corn, mushrooms, etc.  I have also done this quickly with frozen veggies (like for veggie soup.)

2 cups cold cooked rice
3 cloves minced garlic
half a small onion, minced
1 minced carrot
handful of frozen peas
a pre-cooked protein minced finely like chicken, pork beef, bacon or even shrimp (optional)
1-2 eggs, scrambled and chopped up
soy sauce
black pepper
1 tbs butter, bacon fat or other cooking oil
sliced green onion (for garnish - optional)

Heat a large saucepan over high heat and add your cooking fat.  I especially like butter or bacon fat for extra flavor.  Throw in the onion, garlic and carrot and cook for about 2-3 minutes until it gets soft.

I think I need a new cutting board!  Those cubes are the nifty frozen garlic I get at Trader Joe's, love 'em.




Add the peas, cook a minute and then add your protein.  Then add the rice, still cooking over high heat and cook until heated through.




Start by adding about 1 tbs of soy sauce, and increase according to your personal taste and lots of black pepper.  Finally, add the chopped egg, stir through, and garnish with green onions, if using.



Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from you, please leave your comments here!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...